Sunday, November 28, 2010

Conforming to the Non-Conformity!


Regrets? I've had a few, 
But then again, too few to mention. 
I did what I had to do 
And saw it through without exemption. 
I've lived a life that's full - 
I've travelled each and every highway. 
And more, much more than this, 
I did it my way. 
 – FRANK SINATRA.

Frank Sinatra is a Sagittarian. Oops! Before I get carried away by the Archer, let me come back to what I wish to write.

I totally agree to Aristotle’s words, “MAN IS A SOCIAL ANIMAL!” How can a person socially detach himself completely? At least I cannot imagine surviving in social isolation and confining myself to the four walls of any room, without anybody around, devoid of Cell phone and the Internet. It is in fact in my opinion, the height of austerity. Nevertheless, I would wish to modify the statement to “MAN IS A SOCIAL ROBOT!” and that is because you are on the verge of being socially excommunicated if you do not conform to the hypocritical standards that have been set by our patriarchal society.
One can go for as many plays as they wish to, but churning out a career on stage is something one should not dare to desire. And, the most ludicrous part is that the youngsters generally give in to these social expectations, ideals and norms in order to live happily in this society. Oh! But, are they happy after sacrificing their goals and being crushed lethally by expectations of people around them?
What made me write this is one of my most ambitious conversations till date with my best friend a few days back.
 The conversation was as follows:
Me: I would love to be a Pirate, if not a Hippie!
Sanchayan: What would you not love to be?
Me: A Conformist!
Sanchayan: Oh I See! All the best.

The words, “All the Best!” indeed sums up how difficult a task it is to rebel against the system and pursue the ultimate goal and passion. There dwells a fear of being tagged as a ‘Counter Cultural Element!’; a feeling of dread resides deep down the heart and it can be a threat to one’s existence itself. What if you are socially denounced?

Nevertheless, I guess being a non-conformist is certainly an honest way of living and indeed leading a more adventurous and challenging life than being a socially driven coward and following the milling crowd. Alright, now people might simply call me an eccentric or a free spirit. I would seriously revel in being called a free spirit. And, it seems highly ludicrous when being a non-conformist implies to taking drugs, experiencing psychedelic and hallucinogen enhanced trips, running away from house and comfortably staying aloof and secluding from every social ties. Now, I just cannot conform to this belief.
As far as my understanding goes, being a non-conformist simply means taking a firm stand regardless of what people around you feel or think. For instance, if my classmates find smoking ‘cool’ and drinking ‘hip’; that doesn’t mean I am supposed to feel the same way and embrace their ways. I do not have to follow the trend all the time, neither do I have to be any trendsetter. It’s just about having an opinion and sticking to it. Now, if everybody rushed to the cinema halls to watch Harry potter on the 19th of this month, it does not in any way make it a compulsion for me to do the same act. I have no fascination about the much loved Potter fantasy and I am not scared to declare it openly either. That is my idea of being a non-conformist.

On a much personal level, almost everybody around me still cannot whole heartedly accept my decision of taking up photography professionally. But, will that stop me from following my dream? Ah! hell..no! Even if it takes hundreds of arguments, rather hearted arguments, I am up for them. Bring it on! Oh! Actually it is not too distant a dream anymore. Just another couple of years and I shall march towards my one and only serious passion fearlessly, against all odds.

I can vividly hallucinate everybody retorting, ‘Photography is not a profession for girls. Taking up Photography as a profession means staying away from home most of the time.’ Now, I have got used to hearing these statements every time I talk about following my passion. Nevertheless, when the time will come to take the final call, I shall march towards my dream without a speck of fear and be a non-conformist if that’s what everybody would love to call me then.

In a way, being termed as a non-conformist will even make me feel like a ‘hippie’ and indirectly, make my dream of becoming a hippie true too. Haha! Jokes apart, I just hope I do not succumb to the dogmatic doctrines of Society and live as I wish to. Cheers to the Non-conformists! (guess who is topping the list of the non-conformists? Who else except for My John Lennon…)

Alright, now Frank Sinatra has again invaded my thoughts and I would love to wrap this up with his words…

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew, 
When I bit off more than I could chew…
I've loved, I've laughed and cried, 
I've had my fill - my share of losing.
I faced it all and I stood tall 
And did it my way.

9 comments:

  1. to non-conformism!!!epic blog!! truly said...its not abt doin wats right or wrong...its abt doin wat u wanna do!!!!!keept it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing more satisfying than following Ur heart.....
    beautifully written
    Pronoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that one needs to have an opinion and stick to it. That way you are at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ karen...
    yes yes..non-conformism is the way to go!!!!!!

    @ PRONOY..THANK YOU...

    @ DEEP... yes...i so wish to be at peace !

    ReplyDelete
  5. do wat u wish to...............think wat u want to....kudos to non-conformists....well summd up:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thumbs Up, Arundhati !! Loved it, as usual :)
    I guess, deep down, we all sail in the same boat of "Non-Conformism"....atleast I do, and it makes me proud of nobody but MYSELF, that is what matters at the end :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your views...nothing can soothe the heart and soul unless you do what you truly desire, be it your career or any other chore or a minimal activity...you've gotta put your heart and soul to it...and if to pursue that you've to face all odds and be a Non-Conformist so be it !

    It's a wonderful write up coz its not a mere write up, its reality !
    Kudos to you !

    Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Tanvi n Fatima...thank u for connecting exactly to what i am trying to say....and how i feel...
    indeed..unless i enjoy what i am doing..i guess i will never be able to complete task n keep on procrastinating !

    ReplyDelete

Random Thoughts and nothing else !

Flickr

Happy Reading !